The Hampton County Library was organized in 1936 with the assistance of
the Works Progress Administration. The library was first housed in the Methodist
Sunday School but in 1941 moved into the new county agricultural building which provided
two rooms for the library.
service in Hampton County owes much to Miss Izora Miley who, as Hampton County Home
Demonstration Agent, was largely responsible for fostering and keeping alive the idea of
public library service throughout the county. For ten years before the library was
established, Miss Izora carried books in her own car to isolated rural communities.
Wherever she went she encouraged reading and the use of books. When the Hampton
Library was organized, she became a member of the board of the library and furthered every
effort to improve and extend public library service in Hampton County and in the
region. In 1976 when the handsome new Hampton County Library headquarters building
was dedicated, Miss Izora was the guest of honor. The building was constructed on a
piece of choice property in downtown Hampton which she had donated to the county as the
site of the new library building.
Estellene P. Walker,
"So Good and Necessary a Work": The Public Library in South
(Columbia:South Carolina State Library, 1981), pp.6-7
Board Members: Linda Crawford, Maureen Gaeddert, Emily Hiers, LaClaire Laffitte,
Gail Padgett, Marian Platts, Jean Small and Amy